Saturday, April 2, 2011

shine a new light.

It’s funny how we store things away from ourselves. In camouflaged boxes tucked away in the corners of our minds or bodies. There they stay until something comes by and shines a light on it. That’s when you begin to see your life in a whole new way.
Recently I discovered a lie that I told to myself long ago and forgot about. It stemmed from a lie that someone had told me long ago and the other day this person owned up to it. Hearing his words put my entire past in a different perspective. I saw how I had told myself years ago that I would never be good enough. Everyone I met afterward I saw in accordance with that belief. And all of a sudden, all of my actions made sense.
Funny how we can use these self-inflicting-lies to torture ourselves. Opinions of others can mean so much at times that we don’t stop and think about what we really think. I am discovering that I live my life too much for others and this is what keeps me from speaking up in relationships. When you are too busy thinking about how you appear to other people, you don’t see how they show up for you. It’s not possible to see two people at the same time.
Stop looking at yourself and start looking at other people.  They will smile, I promise.

1 comment: