Monday, April 25, 2011

The Meaning of Life?

Sometimes I look at my dog and wonder if he’s got the meaning of life down pat.
He never hangs onto anything, he forgives easily, and lives for the next time he will get to play outside (but just falls asleep if you don’t give in), and he is always grateful.
We often make our lives so complicated. There is so much information, so much complexity to today’s society that it’s easy to make ourselves out to be the most significant people in the world (especially when we’re having a bad day).
I realized in line for my coffee this morning that I didn’t actually enjoy my morning routine. I spent so much time focussing on being on time and running efficiently that I forgot to appreciate what I encountered. The breakfast I took the time to make tasted SO good- and I dismissed all that pleasure because it squirted tomato on me on the subway (and then I spent the rest of the ride trying to pretend it didn’t happen). The way the rain lately has made so many flowers grow, and how colourful my morning walks are becoming. The look on Jace’s face when I told him we were going for a walk. There truly was so much to be grateful for.
It’s easy to live a life of standard everyday practices and not push yourself to appreciate further. Happiness takes self-generation to thrive. And to create it, we have to tell ourselves daily which can be difficult. But it’s the most important thing in the world; gratitude.

No comments:

Post a Comment