Monday, March 7, 2011

Life lives in perspective...


...Everything we do, all we experience is just a matter of it. Sometimes I think the only reason we take action is to gain new perspective. This is why we distract ourselves from our lives.

We drink to bring lightness to our work-week, have dogs to make us see the fun in little things, eat junk to experience a shot of pleasure in our day, and move to feel like a different person for a little while. All of these make us realize what is possible, and have the potential to energize our effort to change, work and ultimately be someone who lives them all of the time. 

While yes, this is the opposite opinion to my last post about distractions- it is clear I have gained some perspective by distracting myself. I’m more clear and confident on the things I am committed to than ever before. This weekend it took a little flirting, dancing, and a wipeout in the snow to affirm that I’m on the right path.

All this to say that sometimes these distractions are all you need to get a bit of clarity and perspective on your own life and what you need to do to live the life you love. The trap comes when you let that distraction take over and ignore what’s really going on. Distraction is a tool- like a hammer. But you don’t want it to become your only one, or eventually you will be eating your cereal with a hammer instead of a spoon. And that's just not effective.

So today it will take dancing in my living room and a cup of coffee to get me there.

No comments:

Post a Comment