Wednesday, January 26, 2011

Warning…this is a heavy one.

Last week I committed myself to something I didn’t think was possible; a yoga workshop every day downtown at 6:30am for a whole week. But somehow once I signed up, everything fell in line to make it happen.
This commitment got me thinking a lot about balance. How it means something different to everyone- and that I haven’t really explored what it means for me since I’m never ‘in integrity’ with myself (you know- the same old story of putting myself first, and all that jazz). I’m always coming up with reasons for why things can’t work, or why I shouldn’t commit. In relationships. In money. In life.
One thing I notice we don’t commit to enough is our selves. Eoin Finn (the rockstar yogi who is teaching the workshop) is more himself than anyone I have ever met. He never appears to have to try. He just is. What a freeing concept. Commitment to one’s self. I’ve heard a million songs about this very topic, but never really got it until now. Well done, Whitney Houston and Jill Scott for discovering this before I did and creating the soundtrack to my week of discovery in self-commitment.
But what is most surprising in committing myself to this vision is how it sometimes takes breaking existing commitments in order to truly commit to your life. Sort of a stop, change, start. Like ending that gym membership that you never use but hang onto because you might want to go one of these days. Getting real about the relationships that feel good now, but have no future. Being honest about what job you want and whether it can happen where you work now. Or the ultimate for me; moving out and living on my own.
All of these are about reaching out past what’s comfortable and easy, and into the unknown and life-changing world. It’s all very yoga, no? Like the hip opening postures I have had so much trouble with this week. It takes a level of surrendering to the uncomfortable to truly benefit from the situation.
So the challenge is that every day you do something that makes you uncomfortable. Because that could potentially be what you need the most.

3 comments:

  1. Love. You are full of wisdom wisdom keeper.

    ReplyDelete
  2. brilliant. esp the part about breaking certain commitments to keep other, more important ones. and then there's that hip opening analogy. that's my all time fave <3

    ReplyDelete