Saturday, August 27, 2011

change.

Something shifted in me today that I didn’t expect.


I have never felt such emotion on the streets of my city. Rising out of St. Andrew Station, I walk into a sea of silent people lining the streets, orange everywhere- in flowers, in turbans, on signs screaming Love! Optimism! Hope!

Few times in life are we faced with happy accidents. Things unexpected that somehow change you. Bumping into Jack Layton’s funeral on the street was one of these moments. A dear friend to my right, my dog laying between my legs, and love surrounding us. So many tears were shared with strangers. The silence, applause, and emotion in the air was unlike anything I had ever felt before. And watching the dedication to the life of a man who changed this world somehow changed me as well.

We walked away from that funeral with cheeks dry and slick from tears, and with a whole new perspective on our minds. Quietly chatting as we strolled, we discussed how everything we think matters in the day to day actually doesn’t. We went over our lives and how we want to make a difference in this world. But mostly how lucky we were that we decided to meet on that street corner- right in front of the funeral, forgetting that it was happening that day.


Jack was right. We have a duty to bring more love, optimism and hope into this world before we leave it. That should be our gift to the future generations. One life has the capacity to change many.

I am ending a long day pondering. How can I really commit myself to making the world better this year? It’s not about my goals or achievements, it’s about everyone else's. Live for them and you will create a world that you want to live in. On anything, I have never been more clear. 

No comments:

Post a Comment